Services – Traffic & Transport – Brake labels – Do I need a brake label?

Services - Traffic & Transport - Brake labels - Do I need a brake label?

Vehicles registered in New Orleans

Vehicles registered and domiciled in Orleans Parish must have a brake tag issued by the City of New Orleans. All vehicles registered in Orleans Parish have a residence code of “3600” in the top right corner of their registration certificate. If yours doesn’t, contact the Louisiana OMV to have your registration updated.

Out of town and new residents

Out-of-town residents: If you currently live outside of New Orleans and your vehicle’s City of New Orleans brake tag expires, you must have the vehicle inspected in New Orleans. Inspections outside the parish are not allowed.

If your vehicle is registered outside of Louisiana or located outside of Orleans Parish, it does not require a New Orleans City brake label.

New residents: If you recently moved to New Orleans, your vehicle must be registered in Louisiana and located in Orleans Parish before you can get a brake tag from City of New Orleans.

If you live in New Orleans, your vehicle’s registration certificate must contain a 4-digit “domicile” code beginning with “36” (ie “3600”), indicating that it is domiciled in Orleans Parish. This code is located in the top right corner of the certificate. If a different code is displayed, please contact the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles to have this changed.

Inspections are not allowed on vehicles located outside the Parish of Orleans.

Commercial Vehicles

Any vehicle used for commercial purposes with a gross vehicle weight (GVWR) exceeding 10,000 lbs or designed to carry more than 10 people (including the driver) is considered a commercial vehicle and must be inspected at a commercial vehicle inspection station . View a list of locations.

Examples of commercial vehicles include certain heavy trucks, large passenger vans, rigids and tractors. If you are unsure whether your vehicle requires a commercial label, please call us at (504) 658-7160 or email [email protected]

Please note that vehicles that meet these criteria and that are owned or leased by a non-profit organization or government agency are considered commercial vehicles for inspection purposes and must be inspected as such.


All trailers require a brake label, except:

  • Single-axle two-wheel trailers*
  • Tandem trailers*
  • Boat trailers*

* Remark: Any trailer used in commerce and subject to the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR 396.17) requires a brake label.


Motorcycles and scooters over 5 horsepower must have a brake label. The brake label is affixed to the vehicle’s license plate. The driver must have a motorcycle endorsement on his driver’s license to pass the inspection. Vehicles that are inspected without the driver’s approval will be given a temporary 30-day brake label.

Vehicles that are exempt

The following vehicles do not require a City of New Orleans brake label:

  • Farm supplies: Farm tractors, self-propelled farm machines, rubber-lined farm trucks and carts, towed rubber-tired farm machines, and livestock implements designed primarily for field use and operated or moved only occasionally on city or state streets or highways, and which are used only for agricultural purposes.
  • Antique Show Cars: Motor vehicles which are 25 years of age or older and which are used primarily for exhibitions in shows, parades, tours and other special uses and not for general transport and which are registered and licensed as antiques pursuant to RS 32:707(L) of the Louisiana Revised Statutes.
  • Single Axle & Boat Trailers: Single axle two wheel trailers, tandem trailers and all boat trailers, unless used commercially and subject to federal regulation.
  • Heavy Interstate Vehicles: Commercial vehicles with an assigned plate, provided that such commercial vehicles fully comply with the requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR 396.17).
  • Motorcycles and scooters 5 hp and less: These vehicles are not considered street legal and therefore do not require a brake label.
  • Vehicles registered outside of New Orleans: Vehicles registered outside of New Orleans are not required to have a New Orleans City brake label. Vehicles registered in Louisiana, but outside of New Orleans, must have a state of Louisiana or other municipal brake label. Contact your municipality for details.